|© Holly DeWolf- Nessie!|
Today the girls wanted to learn about the legend of the Loch Ness Monster. Nessie is really interesting as the girls found out through pictures and claimed sightings that go all the way back to the 1930’s. Even though nothing has really proven Nessie’s existence, my girls still believe!
What we learned about Nessie:
• The original black and white photo claiming Nessie’s existence was taken in 1933. Since then many pictures have “caught” the lake monster in action. Scientists claim all the pictures are hoaxes but the legend lives on.
• Most recent sighting was in 2011.
• Nessie lives in Scotland in the Loch Ness.
• Nessie is approximately 80 years old.
• Many believe Nessie is female.
• She was first spotted in 565AD by St Columba as he took a swim in Loch Ness.
• Loch Ness is the largest body of fresh water in Britain and it does not freeze.
• The theory is the surface area of the Loch Ness lake could hold the population of the world 10 times over.
• Some believe the Loch Ness Monster is a plesiosaur type of dinosaur.